You can import your vault as a folder to a default location, or use a regkey to manually choose an existing folder on your system to sync. Both steps are explained below.
Advantages of such a setup are that you now share a complete vault as a network share for your local network users, and that you don't need additional drivers to mount the encrypted vaults.
Note: in order to sync a vault with an existing folder from a drive, the vault cannot be imported through Import as synchronized vault.
1. IMPORT FOLDER TO DEFAULT LOCATION
If you want to import a vault as a folder, instead of an encrypted data file, you can follow the steps below:
- Go to Tools > Options
- Tick the Enable importing as synchronized folder box
- Right-click on a vault then choose Import as synchronized folder
- The vault is downloaded to a folder under C:\Users\USERNAME\Billtobox Files
2. MANUALLY SELECT AN EXISTING FOLDER
- Create a regkey Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Billtobox Files
- Create a new value called AllowFolderSync underneath, and set it to True
- Also create a new value called EnableImportThisFolder, and set it to True
- A reboot is advised
- Now you can right click a folder on your computer and select Sync this folder with Billtobox Files (note: only local data can be synced, not data on a network path as Billtobox Files is unable to detect systemevents from a network location)
NOTE: if you don't see the option, reboot the PC. If you see the option, but it doesn't react when you click it, check the Message Queuing.
- You can choose to make a new Vault from that folder, or sync the folder with an existing Vault.
- The new Vault name can be different than the existing folder's name.
- If you want to sync the folder with an existing vault, you can select the Vault from the dropdown menu. Only Vaults that are not imported yet will be visible in the dropdown list.
- If you select an existing Vault, Billtobox Files will merge the content of the locally selected folder with the existing Vault.